Location: Portland, Oregon
With a steep front yard to this 1910 traditional South Portland house, this project proposed replacing an old, cramped, one-car structure that was tight and difficult to use with a new two car garage and a new outdoor deck above.
The structure is stuccoed concrete accented by stained Ipe carriage doors, trellis and fence. There are step lights modestly embedded in the walls that provide subtle but effective lighting for evening use.
Raised above the city street, the deck is a family refuge with a view that creates an outdoor gathering space where none existed previously.